[Allstar Digital] DV4Mini clarification

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Sun Dec 6 12:23:39 EST 2015

I've had a number of people ask if the DV4Mini is going to require
DMRGateway. They are 2 separate projects both dealing with DMR.

  The DV4Mini in DMR mode works today with the DMRPlus network. That is
both on a DMRPlus Master and the Brandmiester Master. There are gateways
that provide a connection from DMRPlus to Mototrbo networks. I'm using
that gateways code to connect our Mototrbo network to DMRPlus so we can
talk to the users on that network. The software that comes with the
DV4Mini has problems. I have heard that it's network problems or it's
the software running on the host machine. Some people sound good for a
transmission, then it falls apart. Repeaters on the network or repeaters
using the gateway sound fine. I expect over time the bugs will shake out.

  Mike and I decided to dump both the host software and the master
software. Basically, start from scratch. What we are doing is a staged
build. We are starting with a "echo server" One DV4Mini running on a
RPi2. What the DV4Mini hears it stores and repeats. It's a parrot. The
next step is point to point. 2 users, 2 DV4Mini and 2 RPi2. the 2 RPi
are connected by the Internet. Mike in Ga and me in Fl. No servers.
Next, add the server so that 3 or more people can carry on a QSO. From
there provide a gateway to a IPSC network.

Early stages of the code are new and being tested now. They have no
relationship to the work we are doing on DMRGateway. In time as we move
to creating the gateway, The DV4Mini will be able to connect to
DMRGateway and on into AllStar or out into the IPSC network. DMRlink and
DMRgateway will then come back into play.

For INAD 73, Steve N4IRS

--
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
1st Law of Logic