[Allstar Digital] Off topic

Mike Zingman mike.zingman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 10:43:46 EST 2016

Since this is an ASL list, this is off topic, but may interest some
members.  So here goes.

Yesterday I decided to try a simple experiment and it worked better than I
had expected.  I conducted my first QSO on DMR without any RF hardware at
all.  Basically just like the DVDongle/ThumbDV for DStar is used (WinDV or
DummyRepeater).  It looks like:

Mic/Speaker on PC <---> DMRGateway <---> DMRlink <--- BM or SANDBOX

DMRGateway talks directly with the ThumbDV to both encode and decode the
AMBE data.  The audio and data paths look like:

TX - Mic audio is pulled from the sound card as 8KHZ PCM and feeds the
encoder.  PTT is controlled by either VOX or a keyboard toggle.  The AMBE
is then encapsulated in IPSC frames and passed on to DMRlink to send to the
network.

RX - DMRlink sends us AMBE frames.  AMBE audio is decoded by the ThumbDV
and the 8KHZ PCM is sent to the sound hardware.

This is the same as the ASL solution with USRP except that there is no ASL
and no USRP ;-)

And it works!  The sound is clean.