[Allstar Digital] DMR to AllStar

Scott Zimmerman n3xcc at repeater-builder.com
Wed Sep 21 15:16:52 EDT 2016

Chris,

My answer: Sort of. ;)

I have played around with connecting a Vertex EVX-5300/5400 to a RB_RIM_Lite. This seems to work
quite well. I had contemplated making a plug on dongle for these radios, but they use a 15 pin
high-density d-sub connector for the option port. There is no easy (cheap) way to mount this type of
connector on a circuit board. My approach instead is to make a short cable that adapts the RIM's 9
pin connector to the 15 pin of the radio.

You can check out the RB_RIM_Lite here: http://www.repeater-builder.com/products/usb-rim-lite.html

As far as the adapter cable goes, I can supply the necessary parts for $5 extra and you can build
the cable yourself, or I can provide the cable for $15 extra.

NOTE: This solution will only yield a simplex radio connection to AllStar. (Think remote base)

One would guess that a "Y" type cable could be built and use two radios (one dedicated for transmit,
the other for dedicated receive) but I have not experimented with that plan as of yet. ;)

Scott

Scott Zimmerman
Amateur Radio Call N3XCC
474 Barnett Road