[Allstar Digital] DV3000 testing results

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Wed Jul 12 15:33:48 EDT 2017

We have spent the last couple of weeks working with the DV3000u and
below are our results.

This what we sent to NorthWest Digital

===================================================================================================

  * Hardware under test
      o DV3000U set up as direct serial and AMBEServer configurations
        (at least 4 devices have been tested)
      o X86 based computers (Linux, OSX)
      o ARM based computers (Raspian, Comapss, Armbian)
      o Power supplies
          + Anker 60 watt multi-port supply
          + Power cube with 1.35A @ 5V output
          + X86 using internal PS
  * Test scenarios
      o Run a python test application designed to exercise and test
        returned results
      o Application is run on X86 machines and ARM based machines with
        both power supply configurations
      o Test loops are run from between 10,000 or greater passes
      o Each pass both encodes and decodes AMBE frames
      o Tests may be run with the command line
          + python AMBETest4.py -v -e -n -s /dev/ttyUSB0
          + Where
              # -v = verbose operation
              # -e = stop on errors
              # -n = use 460800 baud serial
              # -s port = use device “port”
              # -I address = use AMBEServer “address” (default port)
          + https://github.com/N4IRS/Analog_Bridge/raw/master/DV3000/AMBEtest4.py
  * Test results
      o X86
          + All tests perform as expected, both serial and AMBEServer pass
      o ARM
          + Using the Anker 60W PS all tests pass
          + Using the Anker PS with a short USB extension, tests fail
          + Using the smaller PS tests fail (expected)
      o Observations
          + The failure mode is consistent, the device will reset when
            under load
          + We see the PKT_READY frame returned from the DV3000 whenever
            the device fails
              # The frame 61 00 01 00 39 is documented in the AMBE3000
                reference as PKT_READY
              # The doc states that this frame is produced when ever the
                device undergoes a hardware reset
          + Failure happens on either AMBE -> PCM or PCM -> AMBE
          + We see no indication of any serial data loss
              # No data corruption
              # No data loss, all data is sent and received
          + The short jumper is of good gauge wire and shows no
            observable damage
  * Conclusions
      o The DV3000u will run fine on x86 and SBC machines provided that
          + USB power is sufficient to keep the dongle running
          + Under load, the power may dip causing an install that seems
            good to fail
          + The reset is clean, leading me to think that the TI TPS3805
            is doing the reset, not the AMBE3000 itself
          + You are welcome to use the AMBETest4.py app, add to it, etc
            as needed.
          + You should make your customers keenly aware that all PS are
            not created equal and care must be exercised.
          + We have modified our Analog_Bridge application to sense this
            reset and output error messages in the log

  Two additional pieces of information.
I have a Pi2 that has the PiDV installed running Raspbian. All test pass
on the PiDV
I added a ThumbDV to the same board and ran the test against the ThumbDV

root at pi-star(ro):DV3000# python AMBEtest4.py -v -e -n -s /dev/ttyUSB0
Setting serial port
Serial port parameters:
Port name:    /dev/ttyUSB0
Baudrate:    460800
Byte size:    8
Parity:        N
Stop bits:    1
Xon Xoff:    False
RTS/CTS:    False
DST/DTR:    False
*********************
Testing Reset DV3000
Test result: Success (6100010039)
Testing Get Product ID
Test result: Success (61000b0030414d4245333030305200)
Testing Get Version
Test result: Success
(6100310031563132302e453130302e585858582e433130362e473531342e523030392e42303031303431312e433030323032303800)
Testing Set DSTAR Mode
Test result: Success (610002000a00)
Testing Reset DV3000
Test result: Success (6100010039)
Testing Set DMR Mode
Test result: Success (610002000a00)
Testing Decode AMBE
Test result: Success (6100010039)
Error, the DV3000 has unexpectly reset
root at pi-star(ro):DV3000#

I moved the DV3000u to a D-Link powered hub. I ran AMBEtest4.py for
100,000 iterations.
All tests pass.

---
"What are HB_Bridge, IPSC_Bridge and Analog_Bridge?"