[Allstar Digital] All-star to Dstar and back

Michael J. Wolthuis wolthuis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 09:13:26 EDT 2017

The other way to do this, which I have done successfully is to connect dextra_client to an XLX (XRF) reflector.  I connect Allstar using node 1000, using the dstar channel driver.
Then anything that connects to XLX004 on slot A is connected to Allstar 2363.  Works pretty good, utilizes the old blue DV Dongle like listed in this email.

Pretty close to the same as exact design, but I don’t steer dextra_client at all, just leave it on the XLX.

The USRP model like DMRGateway would be so much better, I think it will just take time.

Mike
Kb8zgl

On 3/14/17, 4:52 AM, "Allstar-Digital on behalf of Toussaint OTTAVI" <allstar-digital-bounces at lists.keekles.org on behalf of t.ottavi at bc-109.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    Le 14/03/2017 à 03:25, Steve Zingman a écrit :
    > As of today there is a limited solution that only runs on the x86.
    > I'll let someone else who knows it better describe it. The way I think
    > it should be done is like how we did DMRGateway. Use the USRP channel
    > driver in ASL.Modify DummyRepeater to output PCM instead of analog
    > audio and to accept PCM rather then analog audio. connect that to the
    > USRP channel driver. That way you can use ircDDBGateway and all the
    > other modern D-Star tools. Yes, you will still need the DV3000.

    I had similar needs, and I made some tests. Here are my results :
    - The only working solution I found would be to use some old (and
    partially closed-source) software from Scott, KI4LKF : chan_dstar
    (open-source) and dextra_cli (source not available). This software needs
    an old AMBE2000 chip. It can not work with recent AMBE3000 chips (such
    as the ones found in ThumbDV and PiDV, for ex.), because the data
    exchange protocol with the chip has changed.
    - There's no out-ot-the-box solution using  recent AMBE chip and modern
    open-source software (AMBEServer, idcDDBGateway, etc...)

    Then, the ideal solution would be to develop the required software :
    - Modifying DummyRepeater as described is one option, but it requires
    skills in C programming
    - As far as the "repeater" function is not needed, and ircDDBGateway is
    not strictly required, another option would be to develop an independant
    gateway with three UDP connections:
         - Taking UDP audio flow from Asterisk / USRP channel driver
         - Connecting to an existing reflector, using any protocol (DCS,
    XRF, or better : XLX)
         - Connecting to AMBEServer software

    Anyway, I have no skills (and no fun !) in C programming. And I am too
    busy to start such a project for now.

    Maybe an analog audio loopback will do the job easily...

    73 de TK1BI