[Allstar Digital] DMRlink, HBlink AllStarLink etc.

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Tue May 23 12:01:23 EDT 2017

  I should have done this the first day of Hamvention 2017, but busy
does not describe the last couple of weeks. Mike N4IRR and I have been
working on updating and expanding the bridging ability of ASL, DMRlink
and HBlink.
The new applications are referred to as Partners. Partners by themselves
don't do much. When 2 or more partners communicate, the partnership
forms a bridge between different systems.

  DMRlink is the Open Source IPSC Master / Peer "stack" written in
python by Cort Buffington, N0MJS. Applications are built on top of this
stack. An example application built on top of the stack is the parrot.
DMRlink provides the communications to and from IPSC. This can be a
Motorola repeater or a Network device like c-Bridge or BrandMeister. We
have added to the available applications, IPSC_bridge. This partner
application communicates with DMRlink and provides a bridge to other
systems.

  HBlink is the Open Source HB Master / Peer "stack" written in python
by Cort Buffington, N0MJS. Applications are built on top of this stack.
An example application built on top of the stack is the parrot. HBlink
provides the communications to and from HB Repeater Protocol. This can
be a MMDVM repeater, DVMega HotSpot, OpenSpot or a Network device like
DMR+ or BrandMeister. We have added to the available applications,
HB_bridge. This partner application communicates with HBlink and
provides a bridge to other systems.

  The third partner is not quite new. New capabilities have been added
and old capabilities enhanced. That partner is called Analog_bridge.  It
was formerly called DMRGateway. Analog_bridge accepts a stream of analog
audio, uses a Vocoder from NW Digital to convert to AMBE and
communicates it to a partner. That analog audio can come from ASL or a
application running on a desktop computer. A deficiency in the method of
signaling PTT assert / de-assert has been fixed. The name Analog_bridge
better describes it's function. Some of you may have noticed Jonathan
G4KLX just announced his gateway DMRGateway. Thank goodness there will
not be any confusion in the names.

  Any Partner can communicate with any other Partner to form a bridge.
Consider you want to bridge ASL to IPSC. (What ambe_audio and DMRGateway
used to do) ASL <---> Analog_bridge <---> IPSC_bridge <---> IPSC
Network. This works quite well with a simple Motorola Master / Peer
configuration or a c-Bridge. With BrandMeister, there are limitations
imposed. You need a BM administrator to configure the BM side of the
connection. Any changes to TS or TG has to be coordinated with BM. Now
consider another way to accomplish the same ASL to BM connection. ASL
<---> Analog_bridge <---> HB_bridge <---> HBR Network.  The HB_bridge
connection is treated the same way a MMDVM is treated by BM. You as the
sysop define what TS/TG is used. You can build it your way.

  I have spoken with Cort, The methods used to allow Partners to
communicate will be expanded to include communications with other
protocols and services. Cort is busy working on support for remote
logging and display. Please be aware, this software is BETA. It's early
in the cycle. There will be bugs and features need to be added. HBlink,
DMRlink and other yet to be announced programs and tools.
(D-Star_bridge?) Please understand we can not support every possible
protocol, there are only so many hours in the day and some protocols
would have to be reverse engineered. Oh, and some of even have lives.
These are tools that allow you to enhance the systems you operate. They
are NOT networks. Build it your way. After all, this is HAM radio.

  Analog_bridge, HB_bridge and IPSC_bridge will be posted to the
repositories in a couple of days. I have uploaded some simple block
diagrams to <http://dvswitch.org/files/DVSwitch/> I know some of this
information is outside of the ASL Digital area. We will form a new more
general list to discuss digital bridging in general. (YAML, Yet another
mail list)

--
"What are HB_bridge, IPSC_bridge and Analog_bridge?"