[App_rpt] Voters

Charles Suprin aa1vs at arrl.net
Fri Jan 20 13:33:39 UTC 2006

Steve,

I beg to differ with your waste comment. However my knowledge lives more on
the radio side than the asterisk side. The following ideas show the
flexibility and perhaps even a cost savings that a Asterisk Voter offers.
Please share any thoughts on the matter.

As asterisk can interface with telephone lines and radios, from a connection
aspect, it can drop in to the slot currently held by a voter.  This would
only require a single asterisk box. All the signals are available to that
one box and it creates the receive audio internally. This configuration does
not require multiple Asterisk boxes.

If an internet connection is available at the repeater site, a single
broadband connection can handle many more IAX2 feeds than the similar price
in POTS lines.  This reduces monthly operating costs for people using leased
lines.

Additionally, if only phone lines are available to the site, an asterisk box
at the site and one at another location, perhaps someone's home, can receive
audio over the phone line, and send a voted audio stream back over the full
duplex link.  Once back at the site, the audio can be dumped over the radio.
This architecture allows more receivers than before and correspondingly
better coverage.

Hams generally being high tech people, several I know have towers and
already use Asterisk for telephone.  These folks are now much cheaper to
turn into receiver sites using asterisk than with either a leased line
configuration (Recurring cost) or radio link. ( save on the transmitter and
directional antenna.  Also eliminates the line of sight requirements back to
the main repeater.)

Furthermore if a receiver site fails and physical access is difficult, for
weather or any other reason, Asterisk scales more gracefully to handle more
connections to accept more receivers from less advantageous locations.
Again, I am assuming that club members or others can host the receiver
locations.

There do remain issues with these architecures. How well do dynamic IP
address fit into the architecture? What about firewall configurations? What
about unreliable links? These are all open questions to me. As I said, I am
coming at this from the radio side.

I believe the finances really shift depending on whether one is looking at a
commecial installation, where several of the costs born by club members away
are real.

Charles
AA1VS