[App_rpt] Radio Interface Question

James Harfield harfija at auburn.edu
Thu Mar 2 23:41:41 UTC 2006

Sorry for the delay, my list subscrption settings may be wrong.  I was
not receiving the digest or any other e-mails to reply to, or know that
anyone had responded. . .  moving on:

> That assumption isn't correct. It is E&M for zaptel configuration only
(not in
> hardware). The card interface 4 wire audio even though only a single
Zap
> channel is specified.  In zaptel.conf you should specify:

> e&m = 1

> And in zapata.conf you should specify:

> signalling=em_txrx
> channel = 1

> And in rpt.conf you should specify only ONE zap channel:

> [100]                          ; Name of First Repeater

> rxchannel = Zap/1                      ; Rx audio/signalling channel

Thank you Steve.  We do have all of that setup or as you suggested.
Went back and double checked after reading your post just to make sure.

> Please elaborate on how you are trying to connect. When do you get the
"Unable
> to create channel Zap" error? Was it when you tried to run Asterisk
with
> app_rpt compiled in?

I'll try to ASCII out how we're connecting to our radio:

Radio                  PCI
Side                    Card

Ext Spkr       =>    1 RXA
CVC Sense    =>    2 COR
--not used--  =>    3 UIOA
--not used--  =>    4 Subtone
PTT             =>    5 PTT
--not used--  =>    6 UIOB
Ext Mic        =>     7 TXA
RF Ground    =>     8 GND

With that attached, just through an RJ-45 cable, we load up Asterisk.
Then after connecting to Asterisk via a Softphone we try to dial the
radio.  Our extensions.conf file looks like this for dialing the Zap
channel:

exten => 205,1,Dial(Zap/1/1999)

1999 was the channel name we gave it.  It is at this point, when we dial
it, that the "Unable to create channel type Zap" error.

> Your concern is true. It isn't true E&M at the hardware level. COR is
a input
> which accepts voltages from 0 to 13.8V and PTT is an open drain output
from a
> power MOSFET. See the quadradio_pci_installation.pdf file on
app-rpt.qrvc.com
> for more information on how to interface to the board.

> As stated above, It is E&M only at the software configuration level.

> Hooking the signals of the Quad Radio Card to a real E&M interface
could
> damage the board as -48V exceeds the component ratings of the parts in
the
> input and output circuits. Hopefully you didn't do this?!

That makes a lot of sense.  I knew something was up and the -48V thing
wouldn't pan out.  That's why I wanted to make 100% sure before actually
hooking up the base station we had laying around.

Thanks again Steve.