[App_rpt] system architecture and implimentation

Eric Fort eric.fort at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 20:00:12 UTC 2006

I have floated the idea of possibly using asterisk/app_rpt to update an
existing linked system which currently covers multiple states.  In
discussing this some questions of architecture have come up so I'm posing
them to the list below.  Many if not most of our sites have no access to
telecom facilities, can be inaccessible for about 4 months out of the year,
and the temperature in the buildings can reach vast extremes.  Currently we
link over radio channels on the 440 band but are working to move to
microwave t-1 links with t-1 radios in the ham band and channel banks
splitting out the audio.

What signaling can be done over the existing single channel links to
interface with legacy systems and how can the app_rpt boxes in the system
signal each other over these links to convey status and signaling
information between them?

How would you go about addressing the environmental concerns above or
architecting around them?

Thanks,

Eric
KG6KQT