[App_rpt] okay I am making progress....

Stephen Rodgers hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Sun Jul 15 01:23:02 UTC 2007

Roger,

Glad to see you got it all running!

See my responses below.

Steve Rodgers, WA6ZFT

Roger F. Jordan wrote:
> Hi,
>

>             Just thought I would share my experiences with the group
> concerning my efforts to get APP_RPT up and running!  Sooooo far I have it
> working.but let me back up a step or two here..   I spent some considerable
> time looking at distro's.  I decided on Fedora Core 7 (has everything).  I
> downloaded all the config files for the repeater and the newer version of
> app_rpt. then I went thru the process of getting the libpri, zaptel and
> asterisk files. I used WGET to download the most up to date (As per
> asterisks web site).  Loading and compiling everything went fine until.  I
> went to compile asterisk with the new app_rpt.c file!!  To make a long story
> short. there was an error at MAKE time that stated not to use LOCALTIME_r to
> use
>
> Ast_localtime instead!  (OK that blew me away!!!!)  soooooo I replaced the
> newer app_rpt with the original app_rpt.  That did the trick. now the
> compile and makes all worked! And I actually got the machine to repeat and
> get dial tone. to put it bluntly I had a blast playing with the CONF files
> and actually proved I could get a repeater up!!!
>

>             Okay.. Now I am thirsty.. Why would the newer app_rpt not
> work???  Well I found the localtime_r file and replaced them with the older
> ones version  ast_localtime  oh and I had to put a ", NULL" at the end to
> make it work.  Only 2 lines had to be changed. I recompiled asterisk with
> the new modified app_rpt.  and it worked great!!  Actually the DTMF command
> for time works now!!

There was a reason we didn't use ast_localtime in the past. The time
being returned was incorrect; the time was several hours off. What
version of asterisk you are using? It sounds like we need to update
app_rpt to use ast_localtime selectively based on the version of
asterisk being compiled.

>             Okay.  here is where I can use some help..     I got iaxrpt
> working with the repeater.  and actually have my Microzap td400p board
> working as 2 separate repeaters that can be linked together or connected to
> by iaxrpt.    But I want a little more..   I would like to know how to set
> up extensions, external sip devices. and make it so that I can dial into the
> asterix box and maybe get a digital attendant to give me a list of
> extensions and even maybe require a dtmf password to connect to either
> Repeater. or even the ability to connect to another extension. and maybe
> even a conference..

There are so many things you can do with Asterisk that you will need to
be very specific about what you want to start out with first. I would
suggest that you initially keep it simple. Dialing in using a reverse
autopatch is probably a good way to start. I can't help you with SIP as
I don't have any SIP hardware and have not used it much in the past.

This extension logic snippet will add a context in extensions.conf:

[radio-control]

     exten=1999,1,Answer

exten=1999,n,Playback,rpt/node

exten=1999,n,Playback,digits/1

exten=1999,n,Playback,digits/9

exten=1999,n,Playback,digits/9

exten=1999,n,Playback,digits/9

exten=1999,n,Rpt,1999|P

In sip.conf you would add a stanza to direct control to radio-control
context. For iax.conf which I am more familiar with, it would look like
this:

[control]

type=user
context=radio-control
auth=md5
secret=gutentag
disallow=all
allow=gsm
transfer=no

Take a look at the configuration keywords between iax.conf and sip.conf.
 Most of them will probably be the same.

>             I am under the impression that this system can do everything
> except wipe your *((&*(%.  I sure could use a hand at understanding how all
> this can work with a regular phone system!
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Roger W4RFJ
>

> PS.  And I could use some help on how to access the AllStar stuff too!  ;]

You will need to have a fully qualified domain name (e.g. foo.bar.com)
(not a numeric IP address). If your IP address is dynamic, you will need
to run a dynamic dns client on your asterisk box. We recommend
no-ip.com. You can select a domain name (I like to use the following
format for my repeater nodes:  w4rfj-yourlocation.sytes.net. I then set
the host name on the system to callsign-yourlocation.)

You can download the dynamic dns client from no-ip.com. It is a C source
file you'll need to compile. Make sure it runs at boot up by executing
it in rc.local.

Once you have the dynamic dns client running, then go to allstarlink.org
and request assignment of a node number. Send me an email once you have
done this and I'll process the request for you.

Steve.