[App_rpt] Remote Base

Stephen Rodgers hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Sun Mar 11 20:58:52 UTC 2007

Eric,

You can research this further, but I'm not convinced SIP ATA's give a
fine enough level of control for polarity reversal, or battery interruption.

What would be required are special SIP commands which tell the far end
Asterisk server when a phone goes off hook (for RX), and special SIP
commands for applying and removing battery for the TX loop.

For RX, SIP ATA's do not work like this. When a user goes off hook, a
LOCAL dialtone is generated in the ATA, and only when the digits are
dialed which match a route programmed into the ATA, does the ATA make
connection with the Asterisk server. For TX, SIP ATA's provide battery
all of the time and cannot be set up to interrupt battery on an ad-hoc
basis.

Even if all of the above were eventually sfound to be supported, App_rpt
wuld have to undergo a significant rewrite to support SIP on the
repeater port. A lot of things in app_rpt depend on the support Zaptel
provides.