[App_rpt] Asterisk segfaults after installation

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sun Jul 27 17:44:42 UTC 2008

Sorry to reply to my own post but why is there such pushback from the
"app_rpt" community from installing manually?

Everyone pushes EVB or ACID, why?

Any 3rd party ISO distro takes away from security and flexibility.  I
can tell you that EVB can be rooted VERY easily if it is not
firewalled properly or services and settings changed.

Who knows what other code is in that ISO?

So again, I pose the question, "Why are manual installs discouraged?"

Just an example, I asked this very same question months ago and got an
offlist reply from Steve Henke, he called me and we talked for quite a
while, great guy, but in the end, his final answer was  "Find an old
machine and install EVB ISO then run the scripts."

Is it because HAM people are assumed to be dumb?  Couldn't a shell
script be written to pull down known versions of zaptel/dahdi, libpri,
and Jim's branch, and install?

If you are just using the box for USB/URI use, do you need
zaptel/dahdi?  I seriously doubt you need libpri (lol).

I look forward to a logic answer as to why EVB and ACID are being
basically forced, and why nobody writes a simple howto or script to
get Asterisk, libpri, Zaptel/DAHDI from Digium's servers and build
from source.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro