[App_rpt] Recording repeater audio

Jon Richardson jon at richardson.net
Sun Oct 5 05:18:29 UTC 2008

Hey Jim,

Ever the voice of controversy - I disagree with you. LAME encodes at
faster than real-time on reasonable spec hardware (P3 2.4Ghz for example
will do 2x 48Khz streams). For example, to capture directly from a sound
device and write to MP3 natively you can use sox to do the I/O and pipe
it to lame, as below.

sox -t ossdsp -w -s -r 44100 -c 2 /dev/dsp -t raw - | lame -x -m s -
.filename`date +%b%d_%H%M%P_%Y`.mp3

I don't know how "accessible" the raw commands are to app_rpt but it
shouldn't be too tricky to do...

73 Jon G7PFT