[App_rpt] irlp audio vs asterisk audio (channel drivers)

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) Ramesh at va3uv.com
Thu Oct 30 19:31:50 UTC 2008

James Nessen wrote:
> I recently setup a node for a buddy of mine and we moved him to the
> channelized irlp and echolink installation.  He has recently received
> poor audio reports from the IRLP side of his node and we did a A/B test
> one night on his audio.
>

> I found that his Asterisk audio is great, and is full of audio (our two
> nodes connected via uLaw).  leaving the volume on my HT, I disconnect
> from him via AllStar and then connect up to him via IRLP.  His audio on
> the IRLP side is about 10% lower than his level when were chatting via
> AllStar and also sounds muffled.  Has anyone else noticed this?  If so,
> is there a fix for it?

<-- Hi Jim;  I have also noticed this on my chan_irlp node (2304).  I
believe part (if not all) of the issue is due to the fact that app_rpt
and irlp use different audio levels as the calibration standard (3.2kHz
and 3.5kHz deviation respectively).  Of course then there is the ADPCM
to ulaw conversion...

I have previously discussed this with Jim (WB6NIL); I know that he'll
come up with a fix!

HTH,

Ramesh.

app_rpt node 2182