[App_rpt-users] USB Fobs

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) Ramesh at va3uv.com
Sun Apr 12 12:37:10 UTC 2009

Hi All;

I have now modified four USB fobs.  I purchased about 8 of the Startech
fobs (in the black plastic case).  I discovered (after modifying unit
#3) that the Linux box did not recognize the fob.  If you insert the fob
with Asterisk running and monitor CLI, you see an error along the lines
of 'Device not recognized' - 'Device failing to accept address' - and it
seems to cycle through various attempts at assigning an address.  If you
attempt to list the usb devices from the shell command, the fob does not
show up.

I then took a brand new unmodified fob and repeated this - same thing!

Since I had a few left in the bag, I repeated this with another fob -
and voila - no problem, no error on CLI, listing the devices from the
shell command showed the fob - perfect - modified that one as unit #4!

So now I have 2 fobs that may be bad or require some other
'intervention'..... just wanted to pass that along in case any one else
has the Startech fobs - bottom line is test them first before modifying
(that goes for any make ;).

Cheers!

Ramesh.