[App_rpt-users] kickstart file to install app_rpt on a XEN VM?

Stephen Rodgers sales at qrvc.com
Tue Dec 1 03:49:59 UTC 2009

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) wrote:
> Hi Guys;
>
> I am experimenting with XEN and setting up a VM on a TEST box.  I'd like
> to be able to install app_rpt / ACID by specifying a url for the
> kickstart file as I setup my VM.
>
> I thought I had seen this in one of the repositories, anyone help?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ramesh.

VM distros have heavily modified kernels, and possibly modified userspace utilities as well. (At least the ones I've
played with). I use VM machines for some of the allstar and qrvc.com websites, so this is what I have discovered using a
XEN-based version of Centos.

Our install scripts (phase1.sh and phase2.sh) along with the sub-scripts expect yum to work correctly and yum is most
likely disabled or crippled on VM distros to prevent someone from upgrading the kernel and other programs and thereby
killing the VM instance.

Supporting VM distros is a project in and of itself, and there is no automated script-based support available yet.
VM-based distros currently do not all do things in a standard way. Everyone has their own modified distro, and until
standardized versions become available, it does not make sense to proceed down with an automated install.

People have installed app_rpt/asterisk on VM based system, but the process is manual. Maybe someone will chime in
on their success story.

Steve
WA6ZFT