[App_rpt-users] Echolink, anyone else having this?

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Mon Jun 1 18:39:17 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue or may have some
idea what's going on?

Running the latest SVN build of the app_rpt and the asterisk 1.4.23-
pre from the SVN repository, with chan_echolink and chan_irlp.
Everything seems to work OK for the most part; occasionally get random
DTMF tones thrown out over the transmitter from Echolink, but not as
much as in earlier incarnations. Audio levels also seem consistent
across the board. The one issue I seem to be having, though, is that
connecting and disconnecting from Echolink nodes seems to take a
really, really long time, sometimes well over a minute. During this
time, no audio is repeated, and the transmitter stays keyed. I
couldn't say whether DTMF decoding still occurs and is tied up in a
queue somewhere, but I don't think so.

Also, possibly related: I was connected to another Allstar node on
Saturday. This node was connected to a bunch of Echolink nodes through
rptdir, and I was connected to one Echolink node using chan_echolink.
At some point several times, the Echolink node I was connected to
would drop. When it dropped, I had the same issues as above: it took
an age to actually drop, and during this period, no audio was
transmitted. This would happen when someone was talking from the
ASterisk link; I'd hear the linked station, then the transmitter would
drop all audio (dead carrier), until I got an indication that my
Echolink station had dropped. If I'm at a console, doing a reload
wakes the system up, but doesn't necessarily prevent the disconnect
(or continue the connection if connecting to Echolink).

This behavior only appears to be present with Echolink. IRLP and
Asterisk connections seem to have no trouble at all.

Anyone else, or anyone have an idea what's happening here?

Buddy, KB5ELV