[App_rpt-users] First experience with ACID app_rpt & usbradio audio popping problem.

Steve Gladden steve at michiganbroadband.com
Sun Nov 15 07:19:20 UTC 2009

Here's a youtube video of the popping I describe from the USB device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqYwhtuVLDs

If you have the patience to actually listen to about 3 minutes of 100Hz
PL and the once per minute CWIDs you'll hear the audio
dropouts I am talking about..
Also a look on the scope (you'll also see it in that video) the audio is
actually completely dropping off like cpu is elsewhere and the stream is
not being processed for
short bursts of time but very randomly and sometimes not for over a
minute at a time!
This sorta indicates to me it's not a CPU issue as CPU is maxed at only
30% during testing and machine is still very responsive with seemingly
plenty of CPU overhead to spare..

I'm continuing to try this out.
My testing approach is to try it out on some older/lower end systems
first and then work my way up..
I'd like to know what types of older not as fast systems will run the
simplest node yet still be able to support
usbradio.
So far I'm at still at the very low end of systems and have not seen one
work solidly yet..
I'm testing on system #3 now..
This one is an Intel Pentium3 system with a 600MHz CPU.

I'm still getting the audio 'popping' as before different & less
frequent than on the AMD 1.1GHz system..
This system actually has the USB on a dedicated interrupt this time.

Using top During TX/RX the CPU is at a steady 30% Utilization where on
the Duron 1.1Ghz box it was around 10%

Pop's on this system average 3-4 per minute.

My test is as follows... no radio hooked up and monitoring TX audio from
USB audio device.

have CWID set to ever 60 seconds

issue a manual "radio key"

This sends continuous PL 100Hz out the audio device + CWID every minute.

I notice the audio dropouts very intermittently but a bit more common
around the cwid event.

believed to be clean.