[App_rpt-users] First experience with ACID app_rpt & usbradio audio popping problem.

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Nov 19 11:48:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Jacob Suter wrote:

<snip>

> You're currently describing why I don't use Asterisk for my PBX - it seems
> to desire an outrageous amount of dedicated resources to make work
> consistently.  I find FreeSwitch seems to work 99% better in these
> situations, but FreeSwitch's repeater control module (fs_rpt) is still
> incomplete and theres no Echolink or IRLP linking options (yet)
>
> >From my own tests I can say Asterisk isn't as much CPU hungry as it is
> "consistent performance hungry".  Your old P3 is likely fast enough to
> handle the job, but when things like disk I/O occur (IDE and SATA drives
> *LOVE* 'eating' your machine's performance up during I/O) it just can't keep
> up for a few milliseconds, and asterisk doesn't recover well from the
> situation.
>
> People tend to throw a lot of CPU at it, because CPU is cheap and easy, and
> end up having the same problems.  I'm fairly certain $25 worth of surplus
> SCSI controller, cable, and disk off ebay would likely cure the largest
> problems you're seeing.
>
> Also, while you're Ebaying, treat yourself to a nice Intel 10/100 adapter.
> I buy them surplus by the 10 pack, myself.  Junk Ethernet adapters (Realtek,
> VIA, etc) are a performance-eater under any circumstance.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> JS

Hi Jacob,

Interesting info about freeswitch. I had heard it was out there, but
haven't looked at it. I've had excellent results with asterisk as a PBX
over the last 6 years or so. There were some rough edges to start with, as
expected with any software. We now run/use several asterisk boxes at
different locations for my business; mainly connected to T1's and
providing VoIP gateways, etc. And, we have a few FXS lines here and there
for analog connections to fax machines, etc. All of these boxes are in the
1GHz CPU range, AMD CPU, and cheap ethernet. Aside from somewhat weak
software echo cancellation, they really work great. We went ahead and
deployed hardware/DSP echo cancellation where needed, and that issue was
resolved, too.

Anyway, for us, asterisk is very much a success story....But, we're not
trying to "reinvent" the phone company, either!

73, David kb4fxc