[App_rpt-users] Fwd: Re: ACID install issue anyone seen this before? anyone know the centos default root password?

Steve Gladden steve at michiganbroadband.com
Fri Nov 20 19:40:47 UTC 2009

David McGough wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> See below....
>

> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Doug Bade wrote:
>

>> My reply went to Steve only, I am resending as it may help other folks....
>>
>> I need to get specifics on the chipset I am refering to....but I have
>> run into this stoppage as well and it is hardware related...
>>
>> Doug
>> KD8B
>>
>>> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:08:31 -0500
>>> To: Steve Gladden <steve at michiganbroadband.com>
>>> From: Doug Bade <kd8b at thebades.net>
>>> Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] ACID install issue anyone seen this
>>> before? anyone know the centos default root password?
>>>
>>> There are issues with Centos and new Realtek ethernet chips. The OS
>>> invokes the wrong driver with flakey startup as one byproduct. If it
>>> does not finish updates and get the scripts for Allstar.. it stops
>>> and gives a prompt. I have this happening on ATOM motherboards...as
>>> the chipsets have some known issues...
>>>
>>> The solution is easy... I use a usb to ethernet adapter to build
>>> with that is known compatible and then when all is done add the
>>> drivers I need to fix the MB issue.. and pull the usb to etherent...
>>>
>>> Alternately on MB's I could.. I used an older PCI Intel Chipset NIC
>>> and get around it too...
>>>
>>> This may have something to do with it???
>>>
>> Doug
>>

> <snip>
>

> Yep, I've noticed issues with the relatively old CentOS kernels and recent
> hardware, too....I switched to a "hand built" 2.6.30.5 kernel, on CentOS
> 5.x, and this resolved my problems.
>
> 73, David kb4fxc

I'm trying to go with the hand built kernel now to get around this..
+ I wanted to build a kernel anyway..
Not done it in awhile and it shows..

I've been unable to make a kernel so far that wil mount the existing
installation..
Even though I've been sure to include the IDE/Sata and ext2/3/4 in the
kernel.

I'm a little new with udev and all this new stuff from the last 5 years..
Might be why it's not working yet.

believed to be clean.