[App_rpt-users] Echolink Unauthorized

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at vkradio.com
Mon Sep 21 00:49:57 UTC 2009

At 06:13 AM 9/21/2009, you wrote:

>We just can't let anyone connect if we don't see a known IP because that
>poses a big security issue.

Other software (e.g. thebridge) falls back to a realtime lookup on
the Echolink servers, if an unknown IP commects to it, under the
assumption that it's a new node (e.g. someone who's just fired up
Echolink on their PC) that is not in the local hosts cache.  You can
see this in action if you fire up Echolink on your PC and immediately
connect to a conference.  Instead of being immediate, it takes around
10 seconds, during which time, your unknown IP is being checked.  Any
reason chan_echolink can't do this and then add the result to the
local cache/host list?

I believe something similar happens when making an outbound call to
an unknown node (been a while since I've talked to Skip about this
area though).  Skip and I often talk a lot about thebridge and
related software, because I use it in all sorts of ways (EchoIRLP, etc).

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com