[App_rpt-users] Mini ITX recomendation

Doug Bade kd8b at thebades.net
Tue Sep 22 13:34:52 UTC 2009

I am building 2 systems with Intel D945GCLF2D boards. I have not had
them up long enough to say about longevity but the chipset ( the only
fan) is of poor quality from intel and I have replaced mine with
better aftermarket versions.

I am experimenting with CF, Microdrives and SD card OS configs and
dropped back to SATA 2 3.5 as it is just plain fast.... I also have a
Jetway 945GC board and it has a couple slots and extra usb ports
compared to the Intel board... albeit a little larger.. all around
80w power consumption with a sata drive

There is a CF embedded install for the D945GCLF2 board and I was able
to get it working.. a little learning curve due to the ram based loop
file system and remembering to save the configs to make them
persistent as save to ram and save to disk are different things ...

I am also playing with a ASUS Netbook 900 series and have Allstar
loaded on it.. A solid state HD and 3 usb ports allow up to 3
repeaters... 199.00 refurb.. and no UPS needed to keep it alive .. No
dragging a monitor and keyboard to do local edits.. It is not
deployed yet but operational.. It idles at 13% CPU with the 900 mhz
celeron M processor... so probably would not run much more than 2 or
3 repeaters that were busy....

Later Netbooks with SSD and an Atom CPU would probably do better with
230 or 330 cpu's....

The Intel board is about $69.00 and 1gb ram is $29.00 or so... Case
and CPU vary....I found a nice little rack on Ebay a while back but
have not seen them listed lately.. it was about 9 inches deep that I
want to order but no experience yet.. about 169.00 with PSU... but tiny......

Alternate to that I found some smaller Mini ITX  cases from GEEKS for
$37.00 ea that come with a 380w PSU and are 13 " deep, not rack but
small enough to fit in my station..

Doug
KD8B