[App_rpt-users] Skype and newer versions of asterisk

Jim Richardson wa1sot at pcom.com
Sun Aug 22 17:34:18 UTC 2010

There an easy way to run whatever version of asterisk you want that also
requires minimal changes in your allstarlink node setup, just some
additions to iax.conf and extensions.conf.

You do need to set up another computer for the newer asterisk. Then simply
create an IAX trunk between your newer asterisk and your allstar node
asterisk.

I've migrated my node to the new system, I am in the process of changing
my config files to the new system so I can use the Web Transceiver etc.

I am changing extensions.conf as little as possible and inserting
"#include iax_additional.conf" as the last line of the file so most of my
changes are in this other file. I'm also going to use the same technique
on iax.conf by "#include iax_additional.conf" as the last line of that
file.

I am running PBX In A Flash (PIAF) for my phone PBX and Limey Linux for my
allstar node.  I have been running this way for over a year. I have the
ability to make and receive calls from Skype as well as PSTN, VOIP and
ROIP.  I simply call into my PIAF PBX from any of the above and dial my
extension for the allstar node and now I can access my node.  It also
works the other way where my allstar node can dial an extension on my PIAF
PBX and go out on any trunk be it Skype, VOIP, or PSTN.

My motivation in doing it this way was the ability to use the GUI in PIAF
to set up an IVR and all calls from anywhere get the ability to be routed
to anywhere.

I will post after I have finished my edits and tested my config.

Jim
WA1SOT
Node 2370