[App_rpt-users] Private Network

Clint Frost KF6AAQ at gmx.com
Thu Feb 4 21:59:35 UTC 2010

Hello Monty,

I'm not big into networking but would this work for you?

Option 1

Some ISP's will let you have multiple IP address into your home. Once
the public IP's are in your home you should be able to assign them to
each of your Asterisk servers. If the servers are remote then use your
(ham wifi links etc.)

Yes it would be more expensive to get more public IP's, but it would be
cheaper then having an ISP drop at the hill top :-)

Option 2

This is more of a question or a possible option. I see folks using cell
phones (Storm Chasers on discovery channel) to push live video via
mobile cell phone connection. Would it be possible to use a high speed
3g/4g cell connection on the hill top for your Internet feed? If so that
would be much cheaper then (long range ham wifi links etc)...

But who wants to rely on cell phones !?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!

73,

Clint KF6AAQ
NODE 27058 (OFF LINE)

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 14:21 -0700, Keith Williamson wrote:

> Hi Monty,
>
> It's definitely problematic. You could tie a pair of servers together
> if one is Allstar and the other is vanilla Asterisk like for PBX use.
> In the router that provides the NAT service for the two servers, you
> could setup port forwarding for IAX and Echolink to the Allstar node
> and port forwarding for SIP (i.e. 5060) to the PBX server. Not sure if
> you might still have issues with RTP forwarding though since SIP needs
> it and IAX might need it too. Hmmm.. I suppose you could try using
> non-standard ports for IAX, Echolink, SIP, etc but am not sure if you
> can get those services to listen on alternate ports (I'm not in front
> of my node currently to check).
>
> Necessity is the mother of invention though and it would be an
> interesting exercise to attempt. If you do succeed in making it work
> for a pair of Allstar nodes you can make it work for any number
>
> 73's neighbor!
>
> Keith
>
> KF7DRV
>
> On 2/3/10, Monty Dana <monty at ke7jvx.com> wrote:
> > Hello Everyone!
> >
> > I wondering how one might set up a private network of connected nodes?
> > Right now I have two nodes setup here at my home, and would like to
> > experiment with having them both tied together on my private home network,
> > and still have one node able to access allstar and echolink, is that
> > possible?
> >
> > What the main reason for this question is that many of you know, broadband
> > is hard to come by on mountain tops and if it is available very expensive.
> > So we are looking for other alternatives, ie Wifi links, spread spectrum T1,
> > etc to have a private network among sites with a single public IP address,
> > like a home network.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Monty
> > KE7JVX

Clint Frost
Harvest, Alabama U.S.A.
(256) 542-1223
kf6aaq at gmx.com
Skype: KF6AAQ

To invent, you need a good imagination & a pile of junk.
 – Thomas Edison