[App_rpt-users] New User - Hardware Questions

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 5 23:00:52 UTC 2010

well. first of all I can tell you not to waste your time with an old Celeron
at 800 MHz with chan_usbradio. Get an Intel ATOM 330 motherboard of some
sort. They are very inexpensive and very powerful and consume a TINY amount
of power (like 20-25 watts for an entire system). There is little point anymore in
running a power-hungry older system, even if it has a CPU that is powerful enough
(which certainly does not include the one that you are proposing here).

Use the FT897 or FT857. They kick ass! The ICOM has issues with transmit PL
in FM modes, and is a pain in the (well, you know where..) to configure for that purpose.

BTW, what kind of ICOM hardware do you currently have??

Take a look at (all) the stuff on http://beta.allstarlink.org. Thats what the new
system will be in the VERY near future. See the "getting started", "about" and the
"support" pages and it will explain a lot of different things.

JIM WB6NIL