[App_rpt-users] Hard Disk Options

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 18:14:49 UTC 2010

You know you're just attracting early and swift retribution from the
'Murphy' gods when you design systems like that...

CF is meant to be essentially read-only. Dont think of it as anything else
then an easily-programmable EPROM.

First of all, there is NO SUCH THING as a UNIX-like OS that 'doesnt write
to the disk much', no matter how much you may convince yourself otherwise.

Also, the writes to CF completely disrupt the rest of the stuff going on with the
CPU/system, and therefore must only be relegated to 'offline' activities.

If you want to use a 'standard' (non-embedded) distro, use an SSD device
NOT a flash card. Pay the price. Dont whine.

Otherwise, use a RAM-based operating distro, SUCH as Limey Linux that
LOADS from CF and RUNS in RAM. This is a VERY nice option for app_rpt
nodes.