[App_rpt-users] weather radio / public service

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Tue Mar 23 14:41:30 UTC 2010

With spring storm season on its way, I would like to add the NWS Emergency Alert System?messages to my setup.? I wonder what other people are doing? Before I do an entirely?hardware-based approach I wonder if there is some software approach that would eliminate some relays and cables and maybe function better?
?
I have a simple radio that does the SAME decoding and can turn on signals for 'alert' and 'warning' and so forth. Repeater-builder has an article about using these, but my recollection is that when a warning statement has been issued, the warning light stays on the whole time -?until the warning is canceled.? The EAS messages are, by definition, always less than 2? minutes.
?
What I would like to do is just play the message once whenever the NWS blows the horn (1050 Hz tone lasting from 8-20 seconds).
?
Seems to me that the require functionality (if one were willing to dedicate a URI to the weather radio) would be to listen for the tone (1050 Hz for 7 seconds or more) then, when the tone stops, link-in the audio until the end-of-message AFSK burst is detected - or two minutes, whichever comes first.

Note:? I have the MP3 forecasts (podcasts)?already working on the machine but the EAS messages are not sent in MP3 format, being considered too critical for that.
?
Ken Jamrogowicz
27021