[App_rpt-users] Have to manually crank the usb fob to make it work?

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Sun May 9 02:37:23 UTC 2010

Steve

You can probably find some old posts by me saying that I have simply not
been able to get a PCI USB card to talk to the URI fob. I have tried 4
different cards with at least three different chip sets. So far I  have only
been able to use the mother board USB.

The computer is either a Dell PE2650, or PE2850 (64 bit) both with dual XEON
processors (and a really high-powered PCI-X type of card cage, for up to 3
PCI cards).  The PCI card works fine with a keyboard or mouse etc.  With the
fob it goes into the "slow blink" mode.  I am guessing this is the USB
interface doing the three re-tries that the USB2 standard requires - and
then sending a failed indication.

I use a hub to multiply ports - that usually works.  Once in a great while a
re-start fails. Sometimes just one fob does not start - pulling the usb
cable out and plugging it back in usually fixes that.

I have not tried the "rpt restart" command ... will give that a shot some
time.

In a related note -

With astres.sh I often have trouble - sometimes serious trouble ("kernel
panic" and shut down) it is related to the thread that talks to the fob (usb
channel driver).

To restart, I always do astdn.sh followed by astup.sh - that is pretty
reliable.  Looking at the help, I see I should be using "rpt reload" from
within the CLI, if all I am doing is messing with the config ... so I just
learned something - thanks

73

Ken

BTW - looking in the C-Code for the usb channel I see that there is a jitter
buffer config (like in the IAX channel).  This is something I thought I
might play with some time but have not yet tried it. Have you looked at it?