[App_rpt-users] SIP phones

Keith Williamson hkwilliamson at gmail.com
Thu May 13 17:39:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) <Ramesh at va3uv.com>wrote:

> On 13/05/2010 10:26 AM, Stephen - K1LNX wrote:
> > For minimal headaches, Polycom all the way :)
> > Cisco phones also have SIP firmware available, but can be a real pain to
> > install and support at times. There are other SIP phones out there, but
> > I've only had experience with Cisco and Polycom phones and my preference
> > is Polycom to use in a SIP/Asterisk environment.
>
> <-- Interesting thread... but what are the options for a wireless SIP
> phone? - anyone using a Wireless product?
>
> Thx,
>
> Ramesh.

I use the Polycom IP501 in the shack. Excellent SIP speaker phone, I use it
to monitor my node when I'm in the shack. I also have two wireless SIP
phones, the Hitachi IP5000 and the Linksys WEP330. The Hitachi is the nicer
of the two with great battery life and nice sound quality. The problems with
it are that 1) it's out of production and there have been no further f/w
updates and 2) it only supports static WEP keys (no WPA). The WEP330 is
WinCE-based, has a nice color screen, but is a PITA to configure and
everytime I turn around the battery is dead. It's also out of production.
Because of the above limitations, I'm not currently using either wireless
phone opting instead to just use my Blackberry. If I get a tweet indicating
someone has connected to the node and I'm not near the shack, I just speed
dial my SIP phone number, enter my security pin, and can then monitor and
even talk to whoever connected (*98 to key up, # to unkey).

73's,

Keith
Allstar 2541