[App_rpt-users] PICO NODE is now a REALITY!

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 04:03:54 UTC 2010

Here is a pic of the node controller in its present form.

From: telesistant at hotmail.com
To: app_rpt-users at qrvc.com
Subject: PICO NODE is now a REALITY!
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 19:27:54 -0800

We (Dale Weber, N7PKT and I) have been working on porting Asterisk/app_rpt to the
TINY (about 3.5 x 3.5 inches) BeagleBoard (arm-based Linux system), using the native
(built-in) audio and GPIO hardware to directly interface to radio systems.

As of this evening, we have success!!

The BeagleBoard is capable of talking to 2 radios (either half or full duplex)
using the radio's COR and CTCSS decoders (sorry, there isnt enough CPU
power to do the DSP processing, like in chan_usbradio). It will also talk to
a URI (or 2 or maybe even 3??) using chan_simpleusb.

I am designing an I/O card, which properly conditions both the analog and digital
signals in and out of the BeagleBoard, and will provide general-purpose GPIO pins
for whatever the user's needs are. It also may contain a DC-DC converter, so that
the system may be powered from a 12 volt (well, like maybe 9-18 volt, actually)
DC input, allowing use in an automobile and various configuration of battery/solar/
wind-power.

For those interested, I posted the working chan_beagle.c source in the SVN, and
will update it as the project moves along. Currently it only supports 1 fully operational
channel, but that's because my test hardware was not intended to do anything other
then that.

We will also post the working kernel sources, plus an entire image of the 4GB
flash card, for ease of installation.

JIM WB6NIL