[App_rpt-users] A small node with WL500 router

Bogdan Diaconescu yo3iiu at yo3iiu.ro
Fri Nov 26 09:57:28 UTC 2010

Hello,

congrats to Jim and Dale for the PICO node with the beagle board.

We are running for two months now here in Bucharest a small network with
app_rpt working on Asus WL500 Premium routers which are around 20euro at
second hand. There are two routers each having a VHF rig attached so that
you could do radio-IP-radio communication.

The requirements were to use serial line for PTT and COR therefore an
USB2serial converter is used. WL500 routers have 2 external USB ports and
2 internal. I'm using 3 USB ports for this project:

1. USB storage
2. Audio card on USB (I'm using CM108 too for this project)
3. USB2Serial converter used for PTT and COR.

As channel driver we made a new channel driver, chan_alsaradio.c since the
existing channel drivers do not allow serial signaling with the radio nor
using other sound cards than CMedia based ones.

The linux distribution I'm using is OpenWrt backfire 10.03.
The processing power of this small board is limited and do not allow using
fancy DSP techniques but for end to end dial in and communication it is
just the right one. The processor could be overclocked to a higher
frequency is one interested.

Regards, YO3IIU