[App_rpt-users] PICO NODE is now a REALITY!

Dale Weber n7pkt at hybotics.org
Sun Nov 28 00:41:11 UTC 2010

On Saturday, November 27, 2010 07:35:18 am Mark Cheavens wrote:
> I have been playing with two similar projects, but at a lower cost
> with the same processor(s).
> 1. SheevaPlug - I have PlugPBX - Asterisk running on one currently.
>          - Note: The original Sheeva Plug only has one USB port.
>          - The sheeva comes with 512mb ram and 512mb flash. I am
> running PlugPBX on a 4 Gig SD card. The actual PlugPBX image is only
> using about 2g.

	Being able to run Asterisk on this does not necessarily mean it will be
ale to run AllStarLink well.  However, the chances are good that it will be
able to Run AllStarLink. If you only want to run a single radio for a simplex
node, this may work fine using a URI. You will have to use simpleusb like we
are.

	Our solution with the BeagleBoard can run at least two radio channels
using the native audio hardware, and at least one more channel using a URI. We
haven't gotten into using the on board DSP at all, and probably won't as long
as we are getting good results with what we are doing.

> 2. My newest "toy" is a "PogoPlug Pro". It has less ram and flash,
> but has 4 USB ports!

	I wouldn't want to attempt running AllStarLink with less than 512 MB RAM.
While we did have it running on a Beagle-C3 for awhile, the results were less
than we would be happy with.

> I will be working with GuruPlugs next. They have eSATA and more USB ports!
> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-guruplugdetails.aspx
>
> The PogoPlug Pro version has not been "cracked" - yet. I am working
> on it! I see no reason not to run Asterisk on this 79.00 (Best Buy)
> box and boot from USB with a URI for Audio. - The limited ram might
> be the only issue, but the Sheeva and Guru are cheaper than the
> Beagleboards and have WiFi
> NOTE: The PogoPlug Pro has WiFi as well!

	The amount of memory is important, and if these have less than 256 Mb
RAM, it's going to be difficult to get good results from it, even with a URI for
audio.  The BeagleBoard-C3 has 256 Mb Flash and 256 Mb RAM and it did run a
single channel using simpleusb and an URL, but didn't run it as well as we
wanted.

	We are perfectionists, and your mileagle may vary. :D

	8-Dale
--
Open your mind, Read, Learn, Think, Apply, and Have Fun!
AllStarLink Node 2392 | EchoLink node 6185 | 73, from N7PKT!