[App_rpt-users] 2 meter radio?

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 2 16:31:42 UTC 2010

IMHO.. (oh who am I kidding, not really very humble :-) :-) ), a Motorola Maxtrac or Radius
makes an AMAZINGLY good simplex radio for either 2 meters or 440. Get one with a 16 pin
accessory connector on the rear, and it already, without modification, has all the nice signals
available. You can also get a pre-made cable (one with the mating connector on one side
and wires on the other) that makes interfacing it to  URI almost a trivial task. One thing to watch,
most Maxtrac/Radius radios dont like going lower then 146 MHz. They will certainly tune down
that far, generally without re-adjustment, but the programming software goes "nuts" because of
some strange bug in it, and no matter what you program the transmit power to, it sets it to
wide-open, way past what it should be, smoke-generating power level. The only way around
this (if you REALLY have to go lower then 146) is a hardware mod that is ugly.

Its a commercial-quality reliable excellent radio, and I have gotten them on EBAY for as little
as $20.00. Usually, one would expect to pay around $75 for such a thing.

An excellent example of such a thing is EBAY item #200525836718

There are several available and it ships from Littlerock (California, not Arkansas),
which, by the way, is tiny little town in the high desert on the Pearblossom highway
between the Lancaster/Palmdale area and Victorville.

JIM WB6NIL