[App_rpt-users] Discontinuance of IRLP support

Dale Weber n7pkt at hybotics.org
Sat Oct 23 00:05:40 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 22, 2010 04:41:42 pm Peter Elke wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> This is very bad news...

	Maybe, and maybe not.  It could end up being good for AllStarLink and
EchoLink. It's possible that without so many IRLP nodes already in existance,
that IRLP might be standing alone at some point. It's just starting to hit me
how scary powerful and flexible AllStarLink is, being built on top of Asterisk.

> I would think that connecting a single app_rpt node to IRLP would not
> violate their rules.  There are a number of IRLP node emulators that
> just make sure that echolink in not currently in use before allowing
> IRLP.

	It's the many to many and many to one connection possibility that is the
cause for concern, and one incident that soured Mr. Cameron on AllStarLink.
With each AllStarLink node being able to be a hub, that is not something IRLP
can do now. IRLP uses an out dated interface (parallel port!) afterall. I
refused to play by heavy handed rules and not have flexibility, which is why I
am here (AllStarLink #2392/EchoLink #541558) now.

	I think AllStarLink is way under publicized and people just don't realize
how powerful and flexibile it is.  Of course, like with any tool, that power
can be weilded for good or evil.

> Their rules disallow interconnections to foreign networks, it should not
> disallow connecting to a app_rpt system used only as a repeater
> controller with a few local radios (during the IRLP session).

	True, but some minds still need to come out of the caves and see the
light. :D Until then, we do what we do and have more fun doing it. :D

> The IRLP system is a bit too heavy for me, you need a controller, their
> card and a PC.

	For a simplex node, the requirements are no heavier than for AllStarLink.
Repeaters are another story, of course.

> I recall they even set up a flag for "experimental nodes" in the IRLP
> database.

	Yes, they do, and I rejected that possibility for myself. I want a fully
functional legit node, which is what I have now, still in two networks. I am
finding there are not too many places I care to go on IRLP anyways. :)

	8-Dale

I can handle complexity.  It's the simple things that confound me.
Open your mind, Read, Learn, Think, Apply. 73, from NPKT!
http://www.hybotics.com - NEW main site
Just because we can, does it follow that we should?