[App_rpt-users] Hostname/fqdn

David Osborn david.osborn at manx.net
Mon Sep 13 17:14:36 UTC 2010

To SSH to your machine from the outside world - i.e. to access it from
another location, such as the office - you will need to know the public IP
address of your internet connection and, additionally, you will need to have
the port that is set-up for SSH (222 by default) forwarded to your Linux
box.

If your internet connection is assigned a dynamic IP address (and many are),
then this will change each time you re-connect to the net. In this case, I
recommend signing-up to one of the free Dynamic DNS services out there, then
you will have a name (e.g. AllStarNode at dyndns.org) that you can use. There
are also Dynamic Dns update clients (e.g. ddclient), that you install on
your PC which will keep the dynamic DNS server updated with your address.
Alternatively, many ADSL routers support automatic Dynamic DNS updates.

It sounds like a lot, but it's pretty straightforward.

To discover your present public IP address, type "curl whatismyip.org" at
the console prompt.

Bottom line is that the one thing that you don't actually need to access
your Linux machine from the outside world is its own hostname :-)

I hope that helps a little.

David Osborn
GD4HOZ

Message: 1