[App_rpt-users] New ACID release - BeagleBoard MAC Address

Kevin Walsh w8khw1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 05:01:42 UTC 2011

Hi Jim,

Thanks as always for the timely response.

My requirement has nothing to do with DHCP. I believe that was the
problem from the earlier post I mentioned, but that's not the problem
herre.

My BeagleBoard configuration is using a static IP address, the content
 /etc/network/interfaces is posted below:

#Static IP configuration
auto lo
auto usb0
iface lo inet loopback
iface usb0 inet static
address 172.22.32.132
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 172.22.32.1

(Note - I attempted to add the hwaddress tag to force a fixed mac
address, but id didn't work.)

The problem is that when the mac address of a device changes, the
content of the arp table on my firewall can no longer talk to the
BeagleBoard - because the MAC address changed. (IP address equals MAC
address in arp lookup table, right?) If I clear the arp table on the
firewall and then attempt to contact the BeagleBoard at the above
static IP address, it will learn the new MAC address and associate the
new MAC with the static IP. That all works fine until the BeagleBoard
is re-started for whatever reason - and the whole problem above starts
again.

I would hate to have to put the BeagleBoard outside the firewall and
dedicate a static routable IP address to just this device.

Hope that helps explain the problem.

73,
Kevin
W8KHW