[App_rpt-users] Solid State Drive

Doug Bade kd8b at thebades.net
Wed Dec 7 18:15:50 UTC 2011

I use a SSD 2.5 " Hard drive ( ~ 65gb???)  on my Dstar repeater computer (
Atom 330 1U server)with another derivative of RHEL ( Scientific Linux )
running in daemon modes and it's up time is at the +130 days mark... even
with sw updates I never reboot it and the SSD has been flawless.. I bought
it from Microcenter for ~100.00 and it was not really well commented on
google searches so I was skeptical.. but it has been flawless.. I am
suspecting under Win7 etc... SSD' may be more problematical.. than OS's like
Linux which become static and pretty stable on disk/cpu ram usage...

No slam on Win 7, but squirrely things happen on my Win 7 box's for no
particular reason when I run stuff that maybe is better suited under
servers( and in this case there are Linux options) ... I am suspecting a lot
of users who have issues with SSD's are disk intensive operations... not
server class stuff cruising in ram for the most part....with minor I/O to
disk for Logs etc...

I have a similar computer running ALLSTAR with 3 nodes and a 3.5 green drive
that has uptimes of 6 months or so at present... that I will probably change
out to a SSD soon just because it seems like the first one at the site is
happy... and I do like to get rid of moving parts.. Atom mother boards are
in many cases totally fanless...and quite powerful enough for ALLStar and
DStar.....

My 2 cents....

Doug
KD8B