[App_rpt-users] Question

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Wed Dec 14 17:36:47 UTC 2011

Trying to mod an older transceiver to pick off the discriminator output
(which, as you can imagine...is a bit obtuse, especially on discrete
component radios....) so I can expand my knowledge a bit.

Anyway...in digging through the schematic and doing a bit of research, I
THINK I found it...after reading up on the differences between the
different types...but, would appreciate, if anyone can take a look at

http://www.wb0yle.com/discriminator.jpg

and tell me if I'm in the right area.

The area I'm thinking I could grab (with a 10K inline resistor so as to
not load the circuit?) is on the (input? output?) of C33 on the
secondary of T7 in the above schematic?  This looks like a classic
Foster-Seely circuit, but would like a double check if anyone is so
inclined....

(For those curious, it's an extract from the schematic of a Drake
TR-33C, which was manufactured in the 70s by Trio/Kenwood and labeled
for Drake.  Believe it or not, it works quite well, and was picked up at
an estate sale, and rerocked (Bomar had the crystal chart for this,
believe it or not...) for local operations, but...picked it up for $5.
so, figured it would be reasonable to mod this and put in a receive and
xmt tone deck.  Experimentation is the spice of the hobby...;)

Am I in the right area?  I know...need to see more of the chart, right?

(also, FWIW, modified an old Maggiore HiPro E 2m repeater to interface
to a DMK dongle, swapped it out with my 220 node (just so I didn't have
to gin in another dongle...) feeding a cantenna on the output with a
hunk of wire on the input RF connector...4 wires: discriminator out for
usb COR, flat audio in through a 10K and varactor diode to the xmt, PTT
to the keying relay and, lo and behold, it not only worked ok, it
sounded great...now, just have to put an app in to get on the 2m wait
list in the Philly area...;))

So...in the mood to melt more solder and play around a bit more.

--
Bryan
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.

Sent from my MacBook Pro.