[App_rpt-users] [pcrepeatercontroller] Re: Analog Repeater Weatherinformation

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Wed Dec 21 13:27:22 UTC 2011

On 12/21/11 6:08 AM, Shaun Rudling wrote:
> I think we are missing the point. We have 2 kinds of people
> here.............
> 1- Those that write and code software (with feedback from users to
> debug, inspire and suggest)------------ (A huge undertaking)
> 2- Those that implement the software and run around installing and
> maintaining the hardware. ------------ (also a huge undertaking) respect
> all, brother.
>
> So, this hardy guy, is asking the softy guys to add a feature -
> automatic WX announcements. There is no ways the majority of us are
> going to suddenly learn how to write scripts, software etc.
> So in the spirit of Xmas, we are asking for a gift. Hi!
>
> But hey, there are not many volunteers writing software, so this is
> going to remain a suggestion until someone takes on this idea. But I do
> want to add, that I think it is a very worthwhile feature and would
> be a huge selling point for D-Star, AllStar to have this. I mean, all
> hams talk about the weather, don't they? Besides, it is good for warning
> about impending inclement weather and even the public could monitor the
> repeaters to make use of a "value-added service" . Good for promoting
> Amateur Radio.
>
> Let's do what the honeybees do when their forage bees numbers are
> dropping, feed some bees a bit of royal jelly and turn them into forage
> bees.
> So let's feed up any potential software developers to build up their
> numbers.
>
> May I be the first to wish everyone a festive season, travel safely and
> don't eat too much cholesterol.

Good points.  However...it depends on how the question is asked:

1. "Gee...this seems like it would be a good thing to do.  I've searched
Google/Bing/Yahoogroups/voip-info.org/etc and haven't found anything
like this.  Anyone working on it?  Anyone need a beta tester?  I'd like
to help...maybe if it worked this way....what does everyone think???"

2.  "I want a weather script.  Why hasn't ? written one yet?  This
software is a POS.  X does this.  Why doesn't Y do this?"

It doesn't take much to learn how to bash (or shell, or c-shell) script.
  But, it's not an immediate rush of instant gratification.  Someone CAN
do it for you.  But then you're dependent on them (and their time and
inclination) to support it.  I believe in self-sufficiency.

So...let's take a look at what's needed to provide this functionality:

1. A repeater controller that can play back audio files.  Anyone know of
a good one?  (hint: that's the software this list supports)
2. Audio files of the weather.  Hmmm....where do these come from?
3. Some 'automated' way of either a) downloading pre-recorded weather
reports or b) some way of generating audio files from text.

So...let's take it one at a time (and this is biased towards the US.
Sorry, that's where I live.  That's the weather service I use)

1. Asterisk app_rpt.  Read the documentation.  Can app_rpt, under the
controlling software do this?  Of course...why else would they have all
those wonderful voice announcements that Allison Smith spent so much
time DONATING to the cause?  So, we've established that the controller
CAN play back audio.

2. This is variable.  At least here in the US, there is no consistency
as to whether the local WX office to the repeater location will have
audio files (podcasts, computer generated, what have you) of the
current, forecast, significant weather, bulletins, etc.  So, we have to
assume that WE will have to 1) grab the textual data, 2) strip out the
parts we want, 3) convert the text to speech, 4) make a decision as to
whether to store for later/on-demand retrieval or transmit immediately
(alert).

3.  Use a combination of bash, perl, and cepstral text to speech with
the proper encoding bit-rate.  Yeah, you have to spend a couple dollars.
  But it works better than the free stuff.

The author(s) (Duuude) of app_rpt are busy enough with Real Life, and
may or may not be able to do this.  Expecting them to do so is, at best,
imho, an imposition on their time, especially when the request sounds
more like a demand.  The software is free, as in free beer.  Try
approaching the functionality of asterisk with any of the commercial
off-the-shelf hardware controllers.  The other stuff can't hold a candle
to this package.  But with that, comes the need to get out of the
appliance operator mindset (anyone can solder up some cables and hook
them into an appliance controller and get it to work with the limited
set of commands possible...).  Running this controller is NOT plug and
play...but with that comes the capability to pretty much do anything you
want.  But, like most open source, sometimes you just have to figure it
out for yourself.

That being said...I'll post my weather scripts on my station website for
your perusal, downloading, etc.  YOU are responsible for installing the
support software (perl, sox, and cepstral with william-8K voice files
are the only additions I can recall of the top of the noggin) for making
them work.  But, they DO work, and have been active on my system for the
last year.  No guarantee that they will work for you (especially if
you're outside the US...since they're based on US Metar formats and
weather service text files...which means YOU have to do some digging and
code bashing).  But, maybe they'll inspire you to push your own comfort
envelope a bit.

I'll post the URL later.  I need to get some Real Job work done...:)

--
Bryan
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.

Sent from my MacBook Pro.