[App_rpt-users] Allstar RTCM (Radio Thin Client Module) is nowavailable

Bote Man bote_radio at botecomm.com
Thu Dec 22 11:44:45 UTC 2011

What is the maximum latency that can be tolerated?

I just returned from a road trip during which I streamed my mobile
scanner monitoring railroad communications (yes, some people actually
listen to that stuff). I kept a ping process running on my little
netbook computer running the streaming application to see when my phone
fell out of range. I noted typical ping times in the several hundred
millisecond range on AT&T's mobile data network, which might be of
interest to those intending to run mobile nodes like this.

Keep in mind that ping is the red-headed step-child of protocols and its
payload can be dropped at will by routers in favor of more important
payloads, so real traffic can still squeeze its way through when your
ping packets get dropped on the floor.

Bote

W4NUD