[App_rpt-users] Beagle Board-xM + LOX OS and power consumption

Ron Morell ron at morell.us
Sat Dec 24 17:43:37 UTC 2011

Trying to catch up on the threads of information and now trying to
understand the Beagle Board and LOX.  So reading along, I find this
board is using an ARM DM3730CBP 1GHz processor in the current versions.
I find that Pickle Linux is supplying an Asterisk+app_rpt ISO image
meant to be written to a 4Gbyte mini SD Card, and that GMK Engineering
is selling a LOX board with adapter cables to connect it to the Beagle
Board-xM and that this device will connect up to 2 radios.

Reading on, there is the RTCM device that is capable of replacing an
Asterisk+app_rpt computer at a radio site, but these devices need to
connect to a "Hub" Asterisk+app_rpt to be addressable through the
AllStar Link Network.  Recently WB6NIL has added firmware updates to
manage these RTCM devices as a simple repeater controller in the event
they lose connection with the "Hub" Asterisk+app_rpt switch controller.

So my questions so far are:
how much power in watts does the Beagle Board-xM with LOX use on average?
how much power in watts does the RTCM use on average?
Has anyone compiled a Debian OS with Asterisk+app_rpt for use on the
Beagle Board-xM, or is Pickle Linux the only currently available OS
solution?
Is the current Beagle Board-xM the recommended computer to use, or is
another version better supported?
Do the Beagle Board users need to have a JTAG device to debug and
interface with the system and upgrade uBoot?  If so, which JTAG device
is recommended?

OK, enough with the questions.  Given that the RTCM seems to be an
attractive solution and the Beagle Boards are supporting up to 2 radios
per device with a very elegant solution, I would like to learn as much
as I can about these devices and their intended as well as extended
uses.  I'm not at all competent with the discussion on simulcasting
repeaters and nodes, but from what I've read that is not really the
scope of these devices, or is there something about simulcast that I've
missed in the threads here?

73 and Merry Christmas,
Ron - KA7U