[App_rpt-users] Help requested for new link system

GARY BONEBRAKE w5bi at amsat.org
Fri Feb 4 02:44:25 UTC 2011

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I am trustee of Sandoval County ARES in New Mexico. (www.nmscares.org) I am
in the process of redesigning our repeater system to permit linking of our 2
repeater sites. One site is in town with VHF & UHF repeaters & IC-706 remote
base. The second site is on a mountaintop at ~9000' with one UHF repeater.
Both are line-of-sight. I could use additional UHF XCVRs to link the sites,
but I believe that  Asterisk with app_rpt is a much better solution.

I just completed my first evaluation of Asterisk using my personal repeater
with connectivity provided by AllstarLink. I am pleased with the audio
quality and linking capabilities.

However, for this ARES implementation, I must have the ability to isolate
the system from AllstarLink during exercises and activations.

Thus, I have to determine if is possible to link nodes without going thru
AllstarLink (IP to IP)? If not, is it possible to restrict access on the
AllstarLink system?

Secondly, would someone be willing to share module setups (xxx.conf) for a
system that uses multiple repeaters and IC-706 remote base?

Here is a simple diagram of the proposed system:

Site 1                              Site 2

(in town)                 (mountaintop)

-----------                  -------------

                  INTERNET

Asterisk  < - - - - - - -> Asterisk

UHF RPTR                       UHF RPTR

VHF RPTR

Rem Base

73s

Gary

Gary Bonebrake W5BI

Emergency Coordinator

Sandoval County Amateur Radio Emergency Service

w5bi at nmscares.org