[App_rpt-users] IC-706 Remote Base problems

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Sat Feb 5 18:27:21 UTC 2011

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 21:12:24 -0700
> From: "Neil Addis (WA5JXY)"<wa5jxy at gmail.com>
> To: app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org
> Subject: [App_rpt-users] IC-706 Remote Base problems
>
> Several months ago I tried (several times, many many hours) to get my
> IC-706MKIIG working as a remote base with no luck.
> Since then I have seen a couple others ask for help and no response
> from anyone yet.
>
> Again, has ANYONE ever gotten a IC-706MKIIG to work?
>
> Once again, I am trying to get it to work. I really need to get this
> to work as we want to use it for ARES, etc.
> I have tried every setting in rpt.conf, ioport, civ, etc, etc.
> I know the serial port is working on the computer I am trying to use.
> In fact, out of desperation, I wiped app_rpt off of it, reloaded
> windows XP, loaded my TXRX program and it happily controlled my
> IC-706.
>
> I started fresh with app_rpt, and if I uncomment ioport, then I get an
> error stating my serial port doesnt respond.
> I have tried both ports (I do see ttyS0, ttyS1 in dmesg), but nothing!
> If I comment it, I get no errors, but it never talks to the rig either.
> I know the cable is good because it works with the windoze program.
>
> My PTT and audio all work through the URI just fine, but it never
> controls the rig.
> Yes, I tried all the settings in the 706 as far as civaddr, etc.
> I tried all the civ speeds as well.
> Is there another setting in the 706 I need to change/set to get this to work?
>
> I did manage to get a doug hall RBI working on another system a while
> back so I know the "RBI remote base" code works with app_rpt.
> But what about a IC-706 code?
> Does it work only on the early 706 (non-MKIIG)?
> Does anyone have a working rpt.conf or steer me in the direction of your setup?
>
> Not much hair left, so please help!

Neil,
I do have a IC706MK2G working as a remote base, but I'm using a quad
card not a URI. I'll take a look at my config and see if I have any
pointers about the serial port. In the mean time, If you want to use PL
on the 706 you will need to load channels 1-32 with a frequency and a PL
setting. IE: channel 1 = 146.52 67.0 Channel 2 = 146.52 71.9 etc.

The frequency does not matter and it's not used. This is because the 706
will not accept PL frequencies from the serial port. So the work around
was to for apt_rpt to select the matching channel number and then issue
a frequency command. I'm sure someone can correct me, but this is how I
remember it.

I'll check on the serial port and get back to you on the list, hang in
there.

73, Steve N4IRS