[App_rpt-users] Beagleboard and USB URI dongle

Steve Gladden steve at michiganbroadband.com
Wed Feb 16 18:21:19 UTC 2011

I see those same type of audio issues with fast processors & slow processors.

I've been told it's because of how Linux and USB works (or does not work)
for that matter.

And I have been told the USB interface is not a production quality solution.

I wish I better understood this first hand but currently  do not.

I have a lot of personal suspicions of what it might involve but do not
have the software technical know how to test & measure the kernel &
software
activity going on while the audio anomolies occur.. versus while
they are NOT occurring.

I have a lot of those --it might be this or it might be that thoughts but
nothing to back it up or do much about it at this time..
Might even be fault Asterisk itself or Zaptel interaction with the channel
driver for instance :-)

I am at a point where if one (or more) of the developers feels like
digging in I'd happily purchase the EXACT same hardware they are
developing on/working with so that I could be more helpful in
troubleshooting this and reporting issues that could easily be reproduced
 that would happen for the devs the same way.

Although I *think* this is happening across the board to some degree.
(from my own testing on multiple systems and my interaction with other users)
It's subtle under normal use and most operators don't notice it or it's
just not service affecting enough to have become a primary concern.

It's a miracle the software is here and works and as-is
and that's its been made available for free and is getting constant
cool & useful updates at user's requests..
That's very col & exciting.

The Happiness/Grief ratio (H/G) is very high in this area :-)

But yes I'd like to see the audio output to Transmitter work perfectly
And work toward that end If it's possible.
Or at least understand first hand what gives.

I don't want to complain out here I'd like to learn something.
This type of software and building on it is the present and
future of Radio/TeleCommunications amateur and professional.
I plan to be involved, be useful and enjoy the hell out of it.

-Steve

Michigan Broadband Systems Inc.
"Always Connected"

(734)527-7150