[App_rpt-users] Beagleboard and USB URI dongle

Steve Gladden steve at michiganbroadband.com
Thu Feb 17 20:40:09 UTC 2011

Hi Chuck..

My box (pretty much a fresh ACID install) does not even have NTPD
running on it.

What I did try was running the heck out of ntpdate which has absolutely
no effect whatsoever on the audio as it does it's thing syncing the clock.

I've done a LOT of other 'similar' tests like this over the past year
trying to find something that influences the behavior or induces it to
occur.

While I was at it I also ran <hwclock --systohc> just for kicks.

Again about anything I can think of does not cause the issue to surface..
It just does it on it's own seemingly randomly.

In it's little subtle irritating way :-)

And just for convenience... a video from Nov 14 2009.

Radio Key command listening to PL and the issue. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqYwhtuVLDs

-Steve

> Why not run ntpd and keep your clock in sync all the time instead of
> once an hour :)
>
> Jim, K6JWN
>
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 01:09:17AM -0600, Chuck Henderson
> <rpt2 at chuck.midlandsnetworking.com> said:
>
>> When I started using this software I noticed the audio issues in my test
>> environment.  I tried a dozen different mothertboard/CPU combinations
>> and 3
>> different USB fobs.  I found that the faster the system the
>> less noticeable the issues but even a 3.4 GHZ quad core still had the
>> issues.  I experimented with a lot of variables and several things made
>> some
>> difference but the single most significant thing that reduced the issue
>> was stopping ntpd.  I now run ntpdate 40 seconds after the hour, every
>> hour.
>>  This keeps the date and time close enough and greatly reduces the audio
>> glitch like sounds that I was noticing.  Also I found that when the
>> system
>> is not under test and is using real hand held and mobile stations
>> working
>> through the repeater that the remaining audio glitch like sounds
>> are indistinguishable from typical normal radio noise hits.  By the way,
>> my
>> final choice for a system board is the D510MO.
>> While I do not know for sure, I suspect that when ntpd makes tiny
>> adjustments to the system time, this results in tiny glitches in the
>> processing in the USB sound system.  I am clueless how to track it down
>> any
>> further, and do not see any need.
>> Chuck
>
> --