[App_rpt-users] Unable to connect to AllStar

REDBUTTON_CTRL jrorke at cogeco.ca
Sun Feb 27 22:56:23 UTC 2011

I have found that when I set up an node, I leave it on DHCP.
Then I set the ports on the router.

Then later on I change the node to an static IP.
Adjust the router accordingly  to open the ports for the static IP.

When the box is set up for DHCP,  usually your ISP DNS servers are
listed in the resolv.conf file.
When I change the box to Static ip, the resolv.conf file is cleared out.

At this point I put into the resolv.conf open DNS servers that are ISP
neutral.
That way when the node gets moved to its new home it wont matter what
ISP its on (as long as the router its connected to gets a public IP).

The other problem is if I set it up on my ISP dns in the resolv conf
file then move it to new location and different ISP, the nameservers
from my home may not work and the node wont report properly.

So this is why I use the "open DNS " name servers. It usually resolves
quite nicely.

Put these in your resolv.conf file:

open DNS servers

nameserver 208.67.222.222