[App_rpt-users] Echolink Link Status

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 22 22:14:44 UTC 2011

Our architecture for Echolink differs a great deal from most others. Since there is no sane
reason in the universe to do otherwise, our Echolink presence is both more-or-less a "conference",
since it will ALWAYS accept multiple inbound connections and tie them together (as any connection
is on an app_rpt node), and have the ability to support multiple outbound connections (also tied together
with everything else on the app_rpt node) simultaneously. There is no reason to create "artificial"
limitations of this nature.

Since the Echolink reporting system is really designed for implementation that basically do
"one thing at a time", there is only a concept of a single status message. To make a (rather
feeble) attempt at "fitting into the mold", I decided to report the "inbound" status when there
are no outbound connections active. If outbound connections are active, it reports the information
for the last one connected (if multiple outbound connections are active).

Therefore, by definition, the node can *never* be "busy" according to the Echolink reporting
definition of "busy".

And yes, the "20" means "of 20 maximum connections". However, the connection limit was never
implemented (after all, I try to avoid artifical limits on things). If and when there is a compelling reason
do to so, I will. Currently, the system will take as many connections as there is bandwidth and CPU power for.

JIM WB6NIL