[App_rpt-users] Newbie question

Lu Vencl vencl at att.net
Wed Jul 6 01:22:08 UTC 2011

Hello all,

Well after a year or so of trying to get going, I am finally committed in
getting on the air. I am migrating from IRLP to Allstar and hope to get this
all done before our first hurricane.

Believe me I have been googleing all over the place and I just can't seem to
get anywhere.. In fact, I think I even might have signed up to an old email
list??? Never got a response, but now I signed up today and got it this
time..  Ah, that google can misdirect you at times..

I built the first node one almost a year ago, but got busy with my career
and then I missed the migration..

I have since learned that there is a SYSOP mode (which I converted to) but I
really am not certain I understand the concept completely. Is there a
flowchart or something that can explain this to me?

Plus I have never really seen a good document that explains the network, so
I am trying to get up to speed.

So here are a few questions I have that I hope someone can help direct me to
answers.

1.       Does the "sever" get a node #?  If so, how do I figure out what it
is or assign it one?  (I have three nodes requested and granted, can the
server be one of the nodes?)

2.       Is there a command list that I can get that will allow CLI connect
commands to other nodes?  (i.e. Equivalent to decode xxxx in IRLP)

3.       When looking at the URI interface to a GM300, I only see
connections for PTT, audio in / out and ground.. Where is COS / PL detect?
Someone told me that the URI actually decoded PL.. Is this true?

4.       My goal is to link multiple repeaters and nodes in a more permanent
fashion and then also be able to link (while all of these nodes can
participate) to other Allstar nodes. Did going to SYSOP mode ensure that I
can arrange to meet this goal?

5.       Is there a comprehensive manual that addresses some of these types
of questions that can be had?

I know some of you are saying "oh no another newbie" but please bear with me
as I do catch up fast and I will get this down in no time.. There are a few
of us down here in South Florida that are all in the same boat. And some are
afraid to chime in.. We just need some direction as we have never seen any
documentation as of yet.. I promise to return the favor some day J

73 and thanks in advance

Lu

KA4EPS

Nodes:  27869, 27870, 27873