[App_rpt-users] annoying Node Block

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Wed Jun 15 12:08:22 UTC 2011

On 6/14/11 11:48 PM, Steve Passmore wrote:

> The only problem is the annoying node could still connect via another
> node that is not blocked.
>
> Steve
Yeah...can't totally prevent a determined LID from causing trouble...had
an issue with a well-known miscreant on the bands interrupting our
sunday night net a few weeks ago...tracked him down (it wasn't hard),
and Jim took care of the Allstar registration quite smartly...Echo,
well, that took a bit of convincing (why?  I don't know...but it
did...had to send logs, etc. but what it comes down to is that system
operators have the rights, under Part 97, to forbid ANY operator from
using our systems...) to disable the individual's login.

If they're determined, they WILL get in, but, with the cooperation of
the community here...it won't last for very long.

That has me thinking...we allow connections from registered nodes...a
'white list' if you will...should we also have a 'black list' of those
who, for whatever reason, have violated or abused the terms of use of
the Allstar system that are validated against when they log in and try
and connect?

I know, more paperwork, right?
--
Bryan
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.