[App_rpt-users] Node Monitoring with iPhone/Softphone?

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Mon Mar 7 19:52:39 UTC 2011

On 3/7/11 2:24 PM, John (WB5NFC) wrote:
> Looking for information on configuration and use of an iPhone with
> softphone to monitor node activity. Has anyone put anything together
> on the subject?

Do you want to just monitor or interact?

If just for monitoring, I took the speaker output of my micor (which is
on a separate board that was installed by the builder...for local
monitoring...), padded it down and feed it into a pc that's serving some
shoutcast streams for my internet radio network feeds on an oddball port
that I listen to with a free iPhone app.  Seems to work ok.  There's
about a 15-30 second buffer lag, but, the quality is pretty good.  Oh,
yeah, the shoutcast stream is password protected, btw, so, it's pretty
much only myself that uses it (and now you all know...;))

If you have your node configured with Echolink, the iPhone echolink app
works a treat; if you don't use a proxy, remember to wait for a couple
minutes between starting the app up and trying to connect so the app_rpt
node gets the updated list of authenticated systems...otherwise, go thru
a proxy, which are probably already in the app_rpt echo database, from
what I can see.

I'm sure there's other ways...the first came to mind quickly when I was
setting up some other things...and I use Echolink on an occasional
basis...others may have their own favorite ways of doing so...

HTH

--
Bryan WB0YLE
Allstar 27294 27295 27673 27710